Have you wondered if practicing the old ways can really thrive in this fast-paced, high-tech age?
I think about this often. Walking my sacred path, I was fortunate to find a mentor and learn the sacred path in the traditional way, one on one. But what about those seekers who can’t find a mentor to teach them the old ways face to face?
Wicca continues to grow in leaps and bounds. We’re seeing that there are not enough mentors to go around with the growing demand for knowledge about our Craft. So many seekers turn to the Internet for help.
Is a Cyber Mentor going to work as well as an In-person Mentor?
The Pros and Cons When Comparing a Cyber Mentor and an In-person Mentor:
|Seeker can have access to the Cyber Mentor from anywhere in the world.||Mentor cannot see and feel how Seeker moves the energy.|
|Seeker has someone to go to for support.||Both Seeker and Mentor can only communicate through the Internet (or perhaps, occasionally by telephone).|
|Seeker may have a number of choices in terms of selecting an online mentor.||Mentor cannot experience how Seeker uses energy.|
|Mentor cannot be present while the Seeker conducts ritual and provide in-person safety during the learning process.|
|Mentor is present and can give you an experiential understanding of Wicca.||Mentor may live far away, and meeting in-person may be quite difficult and time-consuming.|
|Mentor can physically sit with you and listen to your needs.||Mentor and Seeker may fall into personality clashes. Being present in-person may create an intense relationship.|
|Seeker has someone to go to for support.||Finding a compatible In-person Mentor may take much trial and error with related emotional ups and downs.|
|Mentor can read how Seeker processes energy.|
|Mentor can lead you through meditations and can answer questions about the feelings that rise up during the process.|
|Mentor can be there for Seeker’s safety in learning the finer points of the Craft.|
Although, I prefer an In-person Mentor, I acknowledge that many Seekers are constrained by situations that require a Cyber Mentor. They may live in an area with no nearby mentors. They may have to hide while living where persecution makes it too dangerous to openly look for a mentor.
So Cyber Mentors come to be vital for many Wiccans’ learning and training.
Through my blog, I function as a Cyber Mentor. I share my experiences in learning the sacred path. There are a number of good websites/mentors out there. It’s often about finding someone who has a “voice” that really connects with your heart.
What would I suggest for those new to Wicca? Read to get insights from a number of credible people.
I have dyslexia so I’ve found that using an ereader and enlarging the type help a lot.
You can start with these books listed here:
- The Way of Four by Deborah Lipp
- When, Why….If by Robin Wood
- The Hidden Children of the Goddess: Embrace Wicca, Become Strong, Be at Peace with Yourself and the World Around You by Moonwater SilverClaw
- Goddess Has Your Back: How Wicca Can Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem and Make Your Life Magickal by Moonwater SilverClaw
- Beyond the Law of Attraction to Real Magick by Moonwater SilverClaw
- Buckland’s Complete Book of Witchcraft and Witchcraft from the Inside by Raymond Buckland
- The God of the Witches by Margaret Murray
- Aradia by Charles G. Leland
- The White Goddess by Robert Graves
- The Golden Bough by James George Frazer and Robert Fraser
- Witchcraft Today, Meaning of Witchcraft and a suggested novel called: High Magic’s Aid by Gerald Gardner
- ABC’s of Witchcraft by Doreen Valiente
- What Witches Do and The 8 Sabbats by Janet & Stewart Ferrar
- Grimoire of Shadows by Ed Fitch
- Robin Wood Tarot by The Book by Robin Wood:
- The Sabbats by Edain McCoy
- The Circle Within by Dianne Sylvan
Reading books like those above can help you on your first steps of your sacred Wiccan path.
For more of Moonwater SilverClaw, consider some of her books:
Goddess Has Your Back: How Wicca Can Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem and Make Your Life Magickal
The Hidden Children of the Goddess Embrace Wicca, Become Strong, Be at Peace with Yourself and the World Around You
Beyond the Law of Attraction to Real Magic: How You Can Remove Blocks to Prosperity, Happiness and Inner Peace